Thursday 14 April 2011

Yin o ma ain

This was one of the first poems I wrote in the hamely tongue. I had originally intended it to be a lament and indeed the first 2 verses were written after I had returned from few days 'at hame' in the low country. As I drove through  Graba, Portavoigie and Cloghey. I was dismayed by the rash of new housing that betrayed my childhood memories. Therefore the reference to Exodus 2:22.  However I am not naturally inclined to the dirge so I put the poem aside unfinished. Which was a good job as a few months later, after association with a few stout souls such as Mr Anderson and Mr Thompson, I held a more positive outlook for the future which is reflected in third verse.
If onniebodie wud like tae send me a wheen o thur ain rhymes or screvins in the hamely tongue, I wud be happy tae post them on ma blog.
















Oor ain strange lan

Na mere the taak way herd as weans,
Noo aa but gan frae freenly hames,
Loast amang mere recent claims,
Left ahind an mossy stanes.

An mere than taak is loast an gan,
For aftin wurds prescribe the maun,
An leeves iz noo at dailygan,
Strangers in oor ain strange lan.

Yet still anaw a wheen are fun,
Who held their ain whun aa gave grun,
An kept alive their faithers tongue,
In hapes of better times tae cum.

© D. Gibson

No comments:

Post a Comment